Injured by a Drunk Driver?
The Sad Truth About Drunk Driving
Chances are, you either have been or will be the victim of a drunk driver in your lifetime. We know that intoxicated drivers cause personal injuries and deaths every day, but they also cause property damage. Even if you are not injured, your property may be. For example, drunk drivers often cause damage to other cars, houses, businesses, guardrails, signs, yards, and landscaping.
Drunk Driving Statistics
What are the odds that you have been or will be affected by a drunk or intoxicated driver? Take a look at these harrowing statistics:
- Every 2 minutes, a person is injured in a drunk driving crash.
- On average, 2 in 3 people will be involved in a drunk driving crash in their lifetime.
- The rate of drunk driving is highest among 26-29 year olds at 20.7%.
- In 2014, 9,967 people died in drunk driving crashes. That’s one every 53 minutes. Another 290,000 were injured in drunk driving crashes.
- Drunk driving costs the U.S. $132 Billion a year.
- In 2010, drunk driving alone accounted for 18% of the total economic loss from motor vehicle crashes, costing the economy as much as $199 billion in direct and quality-of-life losses.
What does Drunk or “Intoxicated” Mean?
Tennessee law provides that a person is intoxicated when his or her physical and mental abilities are impaired as a result of drinking or drug use. The impairment must be to the extent that the person can’t act with ordinary and reasonable care like a sober person would under similar circumstances.
Can a Drunk Driver or Person Be Negligent?
Yes! A drunk person is held to the same standard as a sober person. Being intoxicated is no excuse for failure to act as a reasonably careful person.
We Represent Victims of Drunk Driving.
As a victim, you need a lawyer with the experience, drive, and knowledge necessary to compete with the insurance companies who are handling your claim. Otherwise, you’ll end up being a victim twice, and you might not even realize it until it’s already too late. We are victim attorneys and we represent people who have been injured or damaged by drunk or intoxicated drivers. If you need help, we have offices in Memphis and Nashville Tennessee. Please call us at 901-372-5003 or email us here.