Slipping and falling, especially in a public place, can be embarrassing. But even more so, a slip and fall can result in a painful injury for the victim, including injuries that can result in the need for medical treatment, lost wages, and more. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident that occurred because of a negligent property or business owner, call a law firm to find out what legal options you have.
Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
According to national data, there are more than 30,000 people killed because of slip and fall accidents each year. These fatal accidents happen at businesses, homes, and work.
The most common places where slip and fall accidents occur are:
- Areas where spills occur frequently (i.e. fast food restaurant self-serve drink area)
- Hallways that have lots of clutter
- Heights that are unguarded
- Uneven walking surfaces
- Wet or icy areas
How to Prevent Slip and Fall Incidents
There are steps that people can take – both the property owner and the potential victim – that can help lower the risk of slip and fall accidents. These include the following:
- Clean up spills right away
- Use warning signs to alert people the walking area may be hazardous
- Wear shoes with non-slip soles
- Do not block walkways with boxes or furniture
- Install handrails on both sides of stairways and inspect periodically to make sure the railings are secure
- Periodically inspect stairways, including treads on stairs
- Periodically inspect walkways for any issues
- Make sure all indoor and outdoor lighting is adequate
- Make sure ladders are on a solid and firm surface
Damages for Slip and Fall Injuries
State law allows victims to sue the party or party responsible for their slip and fall injury losses. Some of the damages that a victim can be financially compensated for include:
- Any medical bills and expenses associated with the injuries. This also includes future bills
- Loss of income and benefits if the victim was unable to work while they recovered from the injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Emotional anguish
Contact an Injury Attorney
If you have sustained injuries from a slip and fall accident that was a result of a negligent business or property owner, call a law firm to find out what legal recourse you may have. They will schedule a free and confidential consultation with a slip and fall lawyer in Washington, DC who will evaluate your case and determine what type of damages you may be able to pursue. Keep in mind, however, that under state law, there is a statute of limitations in how long you have to file your claim. This timeframe may be even shorter if the responsible party is a government entity. Call today.
Thanks to The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. for their insight into personal injury claims and slip and fall accident injuries.