Are There Risks to Commuting by Bicycle?
Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Commuting by bicycle can be an attractive way to get to work for a number of reasons. Not only are there a number of health benefits attached to it, it may allow for you to avoid the gridlock often experienced by drivers. For those interested in reducing their carbon footprint, biking can pose a number of environmental benefits. Although there are a variety of precautionary measures bicyclists should take during their commute, there may still be risk associated with commuting by bike. This is a primary reason why bicyclists who have been injured by vehicles should speak with an attorney if they have fallen victim to an accident.
There can be risk faced by bicyclists when they choose this method of transportation:
- Commuter cyclists face greater risk of experiencing accidents at the hands of a motor vehiclist because they are likely to be traveling during peak traffic times.
- There is very little protection riding a bike may offer to a cyclist. Aside from a helmet (which can significantly mitigate head injuries) there is virtually nothing in place to protect a cyclist’s body from the impact of a motor vehicle.
- Drivers who are not paying attention can easily hit a commuter bicyclist, especially if they drift into a bike lane.
- A driver may fail to notice a bicyclist who is riding next to them.
- Many cities are behind in providing bike lanes for cyclists, meaning they must share the road with cars. This puts the likelihood of an accident higher than in cities that have incorporated bike lanes into their planning.
If you have suffered an accident at the hands of a motor vehiclist, it’s essential to have an attorney review your case. Many who have only suffered minor injuries may never take action. Allowing an attorney to provide you with consultation may be key in attaining the compensation you may be desperately in need of.
Enlisting the Help of an Attorney
Reviewing your case with an attorney may give many people reason to pause. Those who have suffered an accident may worry about the cost and commitment that comes with attaining an attorney’s services. However, it’s important to keep in mind that most attorney’s provide their first consultations free of charge. As a result, accident victims have the ability to review the details of the accident with a professional who is well versed in accident claims. An attorney can review your case and help determine the appropriate strategy to move forward with. Because many attorneys will provide their services on a contingency basis, they are likely not to take on cases that do not have a strong chance of achieving favorable outcomes.
Although there can be risks to riding a bicycle, there are many benefits that can outweigh the dangers. By taking certain precautions, you may be able to help mitigate the risk that can come with this form of transportation. Sometimes, an accident can be inevitable, no matter how many safety precautions you may take. If you have been the victim of a bicycle accident contact the best personal injury lawyer Philadelphia, PA offers to determine the most appropriate course of action.
Thank you to our friends and contributors at Wieand Law Firm, LLC for their insight into commuting bike accidents and personal injury cases.